[postgis-users] PostGIS export - data is inexplicably truncated from 3234 records to 3221 when using 'pgsql2shp', PGAdmin, AND QGIS 2.6+

Ruth Simm goldfish_and_muskie at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 3 10:44:20 PST 2016

Hi,
I'm having a serious data export problem with the PGAdmin widget and pgsql2shp (QGIS too). The problem lies within converting a PostGIS table to shapefile. I put in 3234 feature counts...and I get back 3221.

I get limited information from the error reports (see below...QGIS gives me the most information...but it is minimal). The errors (when available) reference ogr....but not much else. Ironically, the only way I've found to actually export the *full* record set is by using ogr2ogr.
I'm not sure why round-tripping with the PGAdmin tool is failing so bad. It seems to be able to import the initial 3234 - but cannot export the full set.

I do notice the Polygon/Multipolygon converting happening...but seeing that many of the tables "Multipolygons" are just single Polygons added into the Multipolygon bucket...I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Very perplexed. If anybody can pull my dataset and repo this (or tell me how they got around it - using anything BUT ogr2ogr) I'd appreciate it!!!!

Here are my specs:
PostgreSQL 9.2.4 (on a Linux server)
pgsql2shp 2.1.1
PostGIS 2.0 Shapefile and DBF Loader Exporter (PGAdmin tool)
QGIS 2.6.0 - Brighton (on windows...we've tested using more up-to-date versions too)
Here is the data (2 MB unzipped on a cloud drive).
Here is what I do...
1) Load the shapefile into Postgres using the PGAdmin tool (works fine...notably it is loaded as a MULTIPOLYGON[2] EVEN THOUGH the Shapefile type is Polygon)
3234 record counts

Importing with configuration: as_clean_test_ogr_export_utf8, public, geom, H:\as_clean_test_ogr_export_utf8.shp, mode=c, dump=1, simple=0, geography=0, index=1, shape=1, srid=4326
Shapefile type: Polygon
PostGIS type: MULTIPOLYGON[2]
Shapefile import completed.
Connecting:  host=pgsqlgis-repos port=5432 user=local-dev password='*********'

2) Try to export the table tp shapefile... (this doesn't work for the following..and notably they are all trying to export it as a Polygon)

UPON Export (using >pgsql2shp)

Initializing...
Done (postgis major version: 2).
Output shape: Polygon
Dumping: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX [3221 rows].
QGIS (Save As in QGIS 2.6.0)

Export to vector file failed.
Error: Feature write errors:
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Only 3221 of 3234 features written.
Export Using PostGIS 2.0 Shapefile and DBF Loader Exporter

3221 record counts

Exporting with configuration: as_clean_test_ogr_export_utf8, public, as_clean_test_ogr_export_utf8
Done (postgis major version: 2)
Output shape: Polygon
Table export completed.