[postgis-users] Permissions issues after AWS RDS upgrade

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri Dec 16 20:18:04 PST 2016

Timothy,

Sorry about this.  I heard someone complain about this on IRC as well.
I think it's a bug in our UPGRADE machinery and not RDS specific.  So I've ticketed it.

https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3680

The create extension has the GRANT .. logic for views, but our extension upgrade scripts appear to be missing it.

I'm not sure how you get around it in AWS RDS unfortunately.

I think the reason I've never run into the issue is I usually have default permissions for tables on the schema I install into.  So the views naturally just inherited those permissions.

You could try this:

ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES IN SCHEMA my_schema
GRANT SELECT ON TABLES TO PUBLIC;

Where my_schema replace with the schema you have PostGIS installed in.
Now this won't fix the view issue, but you can trigger a re-upgrade by using the developer upgrade hack.

ALTER EXTENSION POSTGIS UPDATE TO '2.2.2next';
ALTER EXTENSION POSTGIS UPDATE TO '2.2.2';

That should force a recreate of the views, and the recreation should take on the default privilege settings.

If that doesn't work, best I can do is do a new micro release with it and contact Amazon to provide the new release.

Thanks for reporting and hope the above helps,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us
http://postgis.net