[postgis-users] Is PostGIS effectively LGPL?

Bruce Momjian bruce at momjian.us
Wed Dec 21 11:46:39 PST 2016

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:31:56AM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Imagine PgSQL was GPL. Would most users of PgSQL have any concerns about that?

Yes, they would it would affect closed-source versions of the Postgres
backend, as well as perhaps closed source/binary functions and
extensions.

> Probably not, right, because they are just using the unmodified database, all
> their proprietary IP would be on the other side of the client/server boundary.

Right, but that is not what the FAQ addresses, I thought.

> That's 99.9% of the questions about PostGIS licensing, right there.
>
> That leaves folks who are shipping proprietary PgSQL with PostGIS added in. Are
> you wondering about them?

Yes, plus things like server-side functions and triggers.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce at momjian.us>        http://momjian.us