[postgis-users] Make Union between 2 layers

Birgit Laggner birgit.laggner at ti.bund.de
Tue Feb 9 00:15:46 PST 2016

Hi Alain,

your approach sounds good to me. I used a similar approach some time
ago. As for the creation of the bigger polygon during the 2nd step, with
my older PostGIS version, I sometimes came across topology exceptions
using the st_union function for this. Maybe this is not a problem
anymore, but if you meet problems with topology exceptions, a possible
solution could be to use st_collect instead of st_union.
Also, I want to address that your data might have polygons that don't
intersect. You might need to keep that in mind, so you don't loose any
polygons during the process.
Just to be thorough, in my case, the operation became a little bit
complex because the data contained intersecting polygons within the same
table, causing multiple intersection and difference results for the same
space. Therefore, you might want to check your data on selfintersection
issues, if you're not sure there are none.

Regards,

Birgit