[postgis-users] Geoprocessing & BigData

Ravi Pavuluri ravitheja at ymail.com
Mon Jan 18 10:14:21 PST 2016

Hi All,
I am checking if there is a way to process quickly large datasets such as census blocks in PostGIS and also by leveraging big data platform. I have few questions in this regard.

1) When I try intersect for sample census blocks with another polygon layer, PostGIS 2.2(on Postgres 9.4) takes ~60 minutes (after optimizing from http://postgis.net/2014/03/14/tip_intersection_faster/ ) while on  ESRI ArcMap takes ~10 minutes. PostGIS layers already have geospatial indices. Is there anyway to optimize this further?
2) What is an equivalent of ESRI Union in PostGIS? I didn't see any out of the box functions and any tips here are appreciated.3) Is there anyway we can expedite these geoprocessing tasks(union/intersect etc) using big data platform (Ex: hadoop)? Most examples talk about analysis (contains etc)  but not about geoprocessing on geospatial data. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,Ravi.