[postgis-users] Geoprocessing & BigData

Lars Aksel Opsahl Lars.Opsahl at nibio.no
Wed Jan 27 18:56:53 PST 2016

Hi

We have done some testing on this using a single Postgis server.

-layer 1 has 7924019 rows with 11 columns and about 1 billion points.

-layer 2 has 1088614 rows with 20 columns.

Both layers covers all of Norway.

I do a “esri” union in a psql function and get a new table with 27852836 rows and 30 columns with multipolygon. The size of the new table is about 40 GB.

This is done in less than 3 hours (real 152m8.248s)

I have made a psql function called func_esri.get_esri_union that I calls shown below.

psql -t -q -o /tmp/vroom2.sql sl -c"drop table IF EXISTS sl_lop.r1; drop table IF EXISTS sl_lop.c1; select func_esri.get_esri_union('org_ar5arsversjon.ar5_2013_komm_flate id geo','org_ar.ar250_flate sl_sdeid geo', 'sl_lop.r1','sl_lop.c1',3000,false)"

Then I take the output from this function and uses Gnu parallel to run the computed sqls in 20 parallel threads.

time parallel -j 20 psql -h vroom2 -U postgres sl -c :::: /tmp/vroom2.sql

This is fast Postgis server with ssd disks and a lot of memory and cpu.

The basic idea is that I use https://github.com/larsop/content_balanced_grid/ to make a grid and then create sqls adjusted for this grid. The size of the cells varies a lot. The 3000 parameter in the sql function sets the limit to max 3000 bounding box pr cell.

I will post the code on git hub as soon as I have time, I need to clean it up and make some comments first.

We also did a small comparison with Arcgis where we ran on a small subset of the tables and we got result file with 186372 rows. That took about 5 minutes with Arcgis software and 1 minute in postgres. This test was running on smaller postgres database server.

Since there are different hardware for Arcgis and Postgis I will not put much in to this comparison, but my point is Postgis scales very good on big data having the right hardware and software.

Lars