[postgis-users] tiger geocoder address normalization issue (bug?)

James Marca jmarca at translab.its.uci.edu
Thu Jan 28 13:39:53 PST 2016

Hi,

My goal is to use the address standarizer to match streets from two
different data sources.

Test case is 8th Street in Alameda CA

I was reading through the docs and found standardize_address
(http://postgis.net/docs/standardize_address.html), along with two
different ways to invoke it...using the us_[lex,gaz,rules] and the
tiger.pagc[lex,gaz,rules].

I think I found an issue of sorts.

First, using the 'us_' variant, all is well.  If I query with Eighth
Street or 8th Street, I expect the street name to be the same so I can
match them, and they are:

hpms_geocode=# SELECT name,suftype FROM standardize_address('us_lex', 'us_gaz', 'us_rules', '1 8th St, Alameda, CA');
 name | suftype
------+---------
 8    | STREET
(1 row)

hpms_geocode=# SELECT name,suftype FROM standardize_address('tiger.pagc_lex','tiger.pagc_gaz', 'tiger.pagc_rules' , '1 8th St, Alameda, CA');
 name | suftype
------+---------
 8    | ST
(1 row)

However, if I do the same with the tiger.pagc variant, the results do
not match:

hpms_geocode=# SELECT name,suftype FROM standardize_address('tiger.pagc_lex','tiger.pagc_gaz', 'tiger.pagc_rules' , '1 8th St, Alameda, CA');
 name | suftype
------+---------
 8    | ST
(1 row)

hpms_geocode=# SELECT name,suftype FROM standardize_address('tiger.pagc_lex','tiger.pagc_gaz', 'tiger.pagc_rules' , '1 Eighth St, Alameda, CA');
 name | suftype
 8TH  | ST
(1 row)

Obviously I will just use the 'us_' version, but if the 'tiger.pagc_'
version is maintained, I think this is a bug and should be fixed

Regards,
James