[postgis-users] Help with PostGIS upgrade

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Mon Jul 25 14:37:42 PDT 2016

On 7/25/2016 3:49 PM, Karthick Thanigaimani wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We have a database that is of ~1 TB and the schemas are big as well. We
> would like to upgrade the database version from PostgreSQL 9.3.x to
> 9.5.x and the DB has PostGIS 2.1.2 which also need to be updated to
> 2.2.2 as per version 9.5.x.
> I installed the postGIS 2.2.2 libraries and tried updating the version
> 2.2.2 but it says there is no upgrade path.
> and when we run the pg_upgrade compatibility check it says postGIS has
> to be upgraded.
>

> Is there anyway to achieve the upgrade without doing pg_dump of the
> schemas.?
>
> Please can anyone help.
>
> thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Karthick

I just did this actually.  I first upgraded my PG9.3 to Postgis 2.2.2,
then I used pg_upgrade to go from 9.3 to 9.5, which worked fine.

Sounds like you had problems in PG9.3 upgrading Postgis.  That should
work ok.

Really, though, if should not matter which you upgrade first.  Can you
install PostGIS 2.1.2 into PG 9.5?  If so, do that and upgrade PG first.
  It should work ok.

-Andy