[postgis-users] ST_Split with Multilinestring

Birgit Laggner birgit.laggner at thuenen.de
Tue Jun 14 05:52:52 PDT 2016

Dear list,

I would like to use the ST_Split function to split polygons from one
table with all intersecting lines from another table. Unfortunately, I
get the following error:

ERROR: Splitting a Polygon by a MultiLineString is unsupported
SQL Status:XX000

This is my query:

select betr_id, (cut).path[1], (cut).geom from (select betr_id,
st_dump(st_split) as cut from (select a.betr_id, ST_Split(a.geom,
st_union(b.geom)) from p_sam.nihb_2013_convex_hull_betr a left join
p_sam.ni_dlm13_aaa_gew_sie_ver_l b on st_intersects(a.geom, b.geom)
group by a.betr_id, a.geom) sel1) sel2;

The Manual contains the following info regarding this problem:

"The function supports splitting a line by (multi)point, (multi)line or
(multi)polygon boundary, a (multi)polygon by line*.*"

This might mean that I would be able to split a line by
multilinestrings, but a polygon only by single linestrings - is that
correct? Does anyone has a suggestion how I could work around this
problem (aside from looping the ST_Split with some function, DO block or
pgScript after selecting all intersecting linestrings per polygon)?

Thanks a lot for any helpful suggestions!

Regards,

Birgit