[postgis-users] split line at polygon edge

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 01:04:56 PDT 2016

Hey, in theory st_intersection already uses index and st_intersects under
the hood,
I personally prefer to explicitly add it, as I found it more easy to
understand.

What you didn't take into account is that you may get multiline,
for instance if your polygon is a U, and the line cross it left to right,
the intersection result would be two lines (each in a vertical part of the
U).
If you don't mind having multilinestring :

--------------------------------------
SELECT
ST_Multi(ST_CollectionExtract(ST_Intersection(t.geom,d.geom),2))::geometry(multilinestring,4326)
AS geom
    , t.trails_id, d.id AS trail_system
FROM temp_trails AS t, divisions AS d
WHERE ST_Intersects(t.geom,d.geom) = TRUE;
-------------------------------------
if you want only line, you have to break multilines into simple lines
SELECT  row_number() over() as qgis_id, dmp.path AS line_id
    , dmp.geom::geometry(linestring,4326) AS geom
    , t.trails_id, d.id AS trail_system
FROM temp_trails AS t, divisions AS d
    , ST_Dump(ST_CollectionExtract(ST_Intersection(t.geom,d.geom),2)) as dmp
WHERE ST_Intersects(t.geom,d.geom) = TRUE;

Cheers,
Rémi-C