[postgis-users] Line within range of another line?

Ahmet Temiz ahmettemiz88 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 23:58:37 PDT 2016

Thank you,
it was great help.

particularly your  section worked well and helpful ( since I am going to
create geojson outcome from this sql for web app):
---

And I would think you would want one record per road so the union should be
done after, so the below would make more sense.

SELECT road.gid,  ST_Union(ST_Intersection(road.the_geom,
ST_Buffer(fault.the_geom, 100)  ) ) as road_fayBuffer

FROM road4analyse as road

INNER JOIN fault4analyse AS fault

  ON ST_DWithin(road.the_geom, fault.geom, 100 )

GROUP BY road.gid

---
  I used ST_Union because  fault lines are so scattered (roads are as well)
and buffers look weird. I preferred more conservative approach by creating
complete buffer zone. I thought at least one of the geometry should be
simple.

on the subject of correctness of distance calculation, how about using
epsg:3857. You see
I directly use geometries in 3857. Do you recommend me transform to
geography for correct distance calculation?

thank you again

regards

thanks again.