[postgis-users] problems while upgrading postgis

Paolo Importuni imppao at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 00:45:59 PST 2016

Hi all,

I am trying to migrate my postgres/postgis instance from 2.0 to 2.2.2
The new  postgis.so library is in the right place and I found the right
migration script postgis-2.0.0--2.2.2.sql.

I successfully upgraded three db instances by using the "ALTER EXTENSION
postgis UPDATE TO '2.2.2';"  command, but it failed on one instance.

As far as I see, the problem might be that the postgis extension wasn't
created using the "CREATE EXTENSION POSTGIS"  script, but maybe by some
other methods.

If I try to create the extension, it fails saying "ERROR: type "spheroid"
already exists"; if I try to upgrade it fails, saying that the extension
postgis does not exist.

If I create a new db instance, create a new extension and then upgrade it
to postgis 2.2. everything works fine.
Is a there  a way to sort it out?

Thanks and regards

Paolo