[postgis-users] Finding object that cover multiple polygons

Brian DeRocher brian at derocher.org
Sat Oct 29 04:22:47 PDT 2016

I did something like this in my acps_redistricting project (on github).  I needed to split census districts by elementary school districts.  See make_poly.SQL line 205 - 227.  (It's in 3 parts because I want to include the parts that don't intersect.)

For your case, I'd split the buildings using st_intersection.  Then find the area of each part as a percentage of the whole.  If the percentage is over, say 80%, then keep that part and ignore the rest.  When you split make sure to keep track of which parcel it intersected with.

Brian
http://mappingdc.org

Brian
http://derocher.org/~brian