[postgis-users] St_intersects using GeometryCollection

Nick Ward Nick.Ward at landmark.co.uk
Tue Apr 11 09:26:09 PDT 2017

Hello,

I need to be able to perform an ST_intersects with a geometry that could be a GeometryCollection.
I understand this is not supported from the PostGis documentation so I have written this query:

select t.geometry
from schema.table t
where (st_intersects(t.geometry, st_collectionextract( st_geometryfromtext(@geometrycollection, 27700),1))  --points
or st_intersects(t.geometry, st_collectionextract( st_geometryfromtext(@geometrycollection, 27700),2))             --lines
or st_intersects(t.geometry, st_collectionextract( st_geometryfromtext(@geometrycollection, 27700),3))             --polygons
);

Where geometrycollection will be something like 'GEOMETRYCOLLECTION (POINT (290099.9 91499.9), LINESTRING (290099.9 91499.9, 291100.1 91499.9, 291100.1 92500.1, 290099.9 92500.1), POLYGON ((303000 88000, 307000 88000, 307000 84000, 303000 84000, 303000 88000)))'

I have a couple of questions:

Is this the best way to do this? (other people must be doing it?)
Am I missing something as if this works why isn't it a built in function in PostGis?

Any feedback greatly appreciated,
Regards
Nick
Registered Office: 7 Abbey Court, Eagle Way, Sowton, Exeter, Devon, EX2 7HY. Registered Number 2892803 Registered in England and Wales. The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the e-mail or any part of its contents or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender by replying to this message. All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail. Landmark Information Group Limited cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments and recommend that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use.