[postgis-users] Upgrade both Postgres/postgis and Debian major releases - how to?

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu Aug 10 22:36:18 PDT 2017

Pietro,

> 1) in Debian 8.9 we tried to upgrade to Postgres 9.4/postgis 2.3 before the debian 9.1 upgrade, no success
Can you elaborate on what you did here to upgrade and what error you got.

No success is too vague

> 2) in debian 9.1 we tried to make a symlink (in postgres 9.4 path) to postgis-2.3.so (in 9.6 path), no success
This definitely will not work.  The postgis-2.3.so is bound to the version of postgres so trying to use a postgis-2.3.so in 9.4 meant for 9.6 will result in errors
The .so will not be loadable
What you should do is create a symlink from the 9.6 postgis-2.3.so   to ->  postgis-2.1.so  (so you end up with a postgis-2.1.so that is really a postgis-2.3 library)
Then doing a pg_upgradecluster should work and once you are on 9.6

Do a

ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE;

To have a clean  postgis-2.3

> 3) in debian 9.1 we tried ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE TO '2.3.1';, no way
I'm guessing this is because you did not install postgis 2.3.1 for your 9.4 (and as mentioned in comment on 2, that approach does not work.)

> 4) we tried to backup the old libraries in debian 8.9, then upgrade, then restore these in 9.4 path. With pg_upgradecluster we don't get error message and the 9.4 cluster is migrated to the 9.6 main one, but
> some strange thing happens.
> GRANT SELECT ON TABLE geometry_columns TO public; and GRANT SELECT ON TABLE spatial_ref_sys TO public; is not present in the 9.6 spatial database, so Qgis don't understand what kind of geometry my > tables are (no entry in geometry table) and which srid they have..

Are all your other tables present on your 9.6.  I'm puzzled how pg_upgradecluster even works if you were unsuccessful installing postgis version that is same as your old cluster.  It should have not found the library and bowed out with an error.