[postgis-users] Upgrade both Postgres/postgis and Debian major releases - how to?

James Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 05:16:54 PDT 2017

I ended up doing a pg_dump on Debian 8.9 and a pg_restore on Debian 9 when
I upgraded.

Debian makes an effort to keep the old PosrgreSQL version installed after
the OS upgrade so people can switch to the new DB version later.
Unfortunately, this time it appears they forgot about keeping the old
PostGIS version along with it.  (And it doesn't seem trivial to just copy
the old postgis library back because of dependancy issues).