[postgis-users] Upgrade both Postgres/postgis and Debian major releases - how to?

Pietro Rossin pietro.rossin at arpa.fvg.it
Wed Aug 16 00:47:52 PDT 2017

Hello
we made a hard upgrade and the result seems ok, but a long errors list
reported by the process..
In order, in debian 8.9/postgresql 9.4.12/postgis 2.3 we made a custom dump

pg_dump -Fc -b -v -f "/somepath/olddb.backup" olddb

then we upgraded debian to 9, postgresql to 9.6/postgis 2.3

and restore
perl some_path_to/postgis_restore.pl "/somepath/olddb.backup" | psql newdb
2> /tmp/errors.txt

The restore process came to the end and in errors.txt we find many errors
like:

ERROR:  GetProj4StringSPI: Cannot find SRID (3045) in spatial_ref_sys

or other srid..

So I tried to compare what is in both db (old/new) and
public.spatial_ref_sys has these srid, the public.geometry_columns content
is the same in old/new view and the number of tables/records is the same
(except some difference in count due to vacuum execution)

So for me the dump/restore process seems good this way, but what about these
srid errors?

Thanks again
Pietro