[postgis-users] Spatially ordering data

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Wed Mar 1 03:28:50 PST 2017

Hi List,
I've got a database of about 60 million spatial features that I need to run through a process.

The process can't do all of them at once, so I want to get the data from postgis in spatial chunks of up to say 500,000 features per query.

The data itself isn't evenly spatially distributed, so gridding won't work either, and I don't see any prospectively useful functions in the reference.

Non-spatially this would be simple:

    SELECT * FROM my_table ORDER BY some_key ASC LIMIT 500000 OFFSET 0

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to spatially order data with PostGIS?

Thanks,
Jonathan