[postgis-users] Timezone for a given lat/long

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at di.uminho.pt
Wed Mar 22 14:35:19 PDT 2017

Hi,

You can import the timezone shapefile [1] in postgis and then use the
st_contains function to return the proper timezone id. Make sure you use
a GIST index. The timezone table has 27742 rows. If you have points at
the sea, maybe this shapefile is not suitable. Try to find a another one.

[1] http://efele.net/maps/tz/world/

If you have trouble with the query, post here your attempt and we will
try to help.

Regards,

Jorge Gustavo

Às 21:23 de 22-03-2017, suraj birla escreveu:
> How to find the timezone for a given lat/long  using postgis?
>
> We have to requirement to fnd the local timezone for millions of records
> which has  UTC timestamp and lat/long info.
>
> Google provide API but it's single request per call.. Not feasible for
> milion records.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks
> Suraj