[postgis-users] Adding a position (direction) attribute to a point feature

Brent Wood Brent.Wood at niwa.co.nz
Sun Nov 12 09:09:06 PST 2017

if you use relative to direction of travel, you'll need separate line features for each segment & direction to be able to work it out.

Instead of using direction of travel you can use degrees to angle relative to direction of linestring (which is pretty much fixed), so +-90, 90/180 and for points on the centreline you can use an artificial value of (say) -999

Or geographic (compass) direction, ie: degrees expressing NSEW relative to the road, which is totally fixed, being absolute & independent rather than relative..

Brent Wood

Programme leader: Environmental Information Delivery
NIWA
DDI:  +64 (4) 3860529

Brent Wood
Principal Technician - GIS and Spatial Data Management
Programme Leader - Environmental Information Delivery
+64-4-386-0529 | 301 Evans Bay Parade, Greta Point, Wellington | www.niwa.co.nz<http://www.niwa.co.nz>
[NIWA]<http://www.niwa.co.nz>
To ensure compliance with legal requirements and to maintain cyber security standards, NIWA's IT systems are subject to ongoing monitoring, activity logging and auditing. This monitoring and auditing service may be provided by third parties. Such third parties can access information transmitted to, processed by and stored on NIWA's IT systems.