[postgis-users] [postgis-devel] Allowing use of PostGIS EXTENSION w/out raster

'Sandro Santilli' strk at kbt.io
Mon Oct 9 00:41:14 PDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 08, 2017 at 11:29:33PM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
> Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io>> writes:
>
>> The proposals are:
>>
>>  1) Move raster to its own extension "postgis_raster"
>>     See https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3888
>>
>>  2) Provide two versions of extension "postgis"
>>     See https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3890

> I think approach 2 is better for packagers because a user can more
> cleanly migrate to a postgis that doesn't have raster without knowing
> anything.

Could you elaborate on this ? It looks to me that:

 - How do users migrate to postgis that doesn't have raster ?
   proposal 1: ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE TO '<x>noraster'
   proposal 2: DROP EXTENSION postgis_raster

Given the above, user needs to know the value of <x> with proposal 1
while it doesn't with proposal 2. Or did you mean upon upgrade ?

> I am against option (1) because as it stands it breaks
> backward-compatibility in a huge way, both in upgrading your database
> and having different instructions for enabling raster support in your
> database.

I agree proposal 1 is not backward compatible in terms
what you get under the "postgis" extension name.

As for instructions I don't think it's a big deal, there are
already instructions to create multiple extensions (topology):
http://postgis.net/docs/manual-2.4/postgis_installation.html#create_new_db_extensions
and enabling raster is already a separate step for non-extension
install:
http://postgis.net/docs/manual-2.4/postgis_installation.html#create_new_db

--strk;