[postgis-users] Handling N-d arrays in PostGIS

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Oct 30 05:25:48 PDT 2017

As others have noted, a POINTM or MULTIPOINTM will serve to store your data
just fine, but what you plan to *do* with that data after will determine
whether a relational database is really the correct tool for you.

ATB,

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 4:56 AM, Antonio Rodriges <antonio.rrz at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I suppose it has a bit different purpose (like an efficient handling of
> sparsity which is not the case with dense climate data) and I hope there is
> an easier solution (I just have 3 dimensions...)
>
> Antonio

> :
>
>> Ya, I’m not sure point clouds are at all the fix. They just address the
>> dimensionality question well, though not the gridded data requirement.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Best,
>> Steve
>>

>> [image: http://sig.cmparks.net/cmp-ms-90x122.png]*Stephen V. Mather*
>> GIS Manager
>> (216) 635-3243 (Work)
>> (216) 339-6347 (Cell)
>> --sent from phone--
>>

>> On Oct 30, 2017, at 07:49, Antonio Rodriges <antonio.rrz at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for pointing to this tool.
>>
>> However, I thought that since PostGIS uses GDAL it may be easier to
>> import such arrays, e.g. just split them onto individual 2-d grids (since
>> PostGIS mainly understands 2-d grids).

>> >:
>>
>>> I don’t know if it’s the ideal tool for the job, as it’s more flexible
>>> than you need, not being a regularized grid but a point cloud, but you
>>> might look to the pgPointCloud extension: https://github.com/
>>> pgpointcloud/pointcloud
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Best,