[postgis-users] Raster ST_Transform performance

Senshi tassilo.m at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 06:33:24 PDT 2017

I have a raster of 7023x9933 pixels with georeference parameters from a
world file (set using ST_SetGeoReference).

In order to return the transformed image to be displayed in a map, I use
ST_AsPNG(ST_Transform(rast, 31466)).

This works well and quick for small images (e.g. 500x500), but performance
is horrendous for this large image. This step takes 13 minutes for the full
image!

When doing the same process using gdalwarp directly (python bindings), the
process takes about 30 seconds:
gdalwarp -overwrite -of GTiff C:/wip/tiling/test.png C:/wip/tiling/test8.tif

Any ideas why my ST_Transform is so slow?