[postgis-users] Voronoi polygons for large dataset

Nathan Einstein njeinstein at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 08:15:41 PDT 2018

Hi all,

I’d like to create Voronoi polygons for a set of about 11 million points.
ST_VoronoiPolygons works fine for a subset of ~3 million of these points,
though the function’s processing speed seems to scale non-linearly in the
number of points. I therefore haven’t been able to get it to work for the
entire dataset, even when left running overnight (but notably, ArcGIS
completes it in under an hour).

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like there’s any simple
“divide-and-conquer”-type solution; because the Voronoi polygons on the
edges will be irregularly shaped, I haven’t been able to come up with a
clean way to combine the results from subsets of the full dataset.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!
-Nathan