[postgis-users] PostGIS - Migration case from 9.3/2.1 to 10.5/2.5

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Oct 29 11:11:08 PDT 2018

Unfortunately I don't think you can use the symlink approach to go from 2.1 – 2.5 because we took out functions between 2.1 and 2.2.

At least that is what I recall from memory.  I haven't retested recently.

If you installed PostGIS using extensions, the functions ARE NOT in the dump.

So you should be good to just backup the database and restore on your 10.5 that has  PostGIS 2.5 binary installed.

The restore process will recreate the postgis extension and will use the 2.5 one if that's the last installed version on your 10.5.

Alternative would be if you can, upgrade your 9.3/2.1 -> 2.5 using   ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE;

And then pg_upgrade over to PostgreSQL 10.5 +PostGIS 2.5

If your database is small (by small, I mean less than 10GB) and you only have one database, probably easier to just do a pg_dump  and then pg_restore.