[postgis-users] PostGIS case usages

Simon Greener simon at spatialdbadvisor.com
Wed Oct 31 20:38:36 PDT 2018

Regina,

Some very good points.

I stopped using the term years ago given that I concentrate on applying spatial data and functions to solving business problems.

One problem is that the "spatial" industry is dominated by "GIS" vendors and practitioners: it isn't easy to find new non-GIS work.

In fact, I think this is one of the problems with FOSS4G technologies: they are marketed and sold as specific toolsets in opposition to the vendor products but on the same playground.

I have a few examples I can provide you with, just give me a bit of time to write them up.

As you going to FOSS4G in Melbourne this month?

regards
Simon

On Thu, 01 Nov 2018 10:17:04 +1100, Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> That's a pretty nice use case and one I've thought of coming from a Bioelectronics/Biomechanics educational background.
>
> I think a lot more people would be using PostGIS if they saw it as a tool set of tools for visualizing and analyzing space, instead of "a toolset for GIS"
> The GIS word seems to be a turn-off for a lot of people who have spatial problems to solve but don't think of themselves as GIS practioners.
>
> I much prefer the term "Spatial" than GIS because it really focuses on what I think makes PostGIS great - "A tool for analyzing space"
>
> Thanks,
> Regina

Regards
Simon
Spatial Advice & Solutions Architecture
Database Spatial Stored Procedure Designer
Oracle Spatial, SQL Server, PostGIS, MySQL, ArcSDE FME
Awarded "2011 Oracle Spatial Excellence Award for Education and Research"