[postgis-users] Creating postGIS extension

David Haynes haynesd2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 10:20:57 PDT 2018

Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the PostGIS extension on a new VM. It
seems there were some earlier conflicts between gdal 2.0, but I have
resolved them. However, I can't create the PostGIS extension.

psql (PostgreSQL) 10.5 (Ubuntu 10.5-1.pgdg14.04+1)
david at david-VirtualBox:~$ psql -d research -c "CREATE EXTENSION postgis;"

ERROR:  could not open extension control file
"/usr/share/postgresql/9.3/extension/postgis.control": No such file or
directory

The PostGIS control file is at
/usr/share/postgresql/10/extension/postgis.control.
How can I point the server to this directory? Should I remove the older
versions of PostgreSQL and leave only version 10. There isn't any data
loaded.