[postgis-users] pg_dump on upgraded server

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Apr 3 09:32:02 PDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 06:20:22PM +0200, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> On 03/04/19 18:10, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> >> On Apr 3, 2019, at 9:08 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >> I'm on a difficult situation: a debian sever with a pg9.4/pgis2.1 db has
> >> been upgraded to stretch, therefore to pg9.6/pgis2.3. Now pg_dump will
> >> complain of the missing pgis2.1 lib, even if I dump only a non public
> >> (thus without pgis functions) schema.
> >> How could I fix this?
> >>
> > Put a symlink to the postgis-2.3.so file, named as postgis-2.1.so
>
> done already, but it complains that the versions don't match

Very interesting case, as it shows a problem with the idea
that dropping minor version from the SO would fix this kind
of problem.

So, I guess what happens is that pg_dump wants to use the
"canonical output" functions for the geometry types of some
database (or why would pg_dump require that library?).

Can you confirm the above ? Are you POSITIVE the database
you're dumping does NOT use PostGIS types at all ?
There must be, in that database, some record in pg_proc
where probin like '%postgis%', can you check that ?

In theory, any such function would be replaced by running
a soft upgrade of PostGIS in that database.

--strk;