[postgis-users] Slow construction of GiST index, but better with smaller # of big rows

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Jan 13 17:53:19 PST 2019

On 2019-01-12 8:28 a.m., Wenbo Tao wrote:
>  So essentially, the index construction is slow for too many rows, but
> much faster for a smaller # of bigger rows. Any intuition why this is
> the case would be greatly appreciated!

GiST indexes work on bounding boxes only, so the portion of the row that
matters to the index is the same size per row. I would expect the two
factors that matter most for index size and generation speed to be
number of rows and number of pages. You've reduced the number of rows
and possibly the number of pages, so it's expected the index will be
smaller and faster to generate.