[postgis-users] Geography/geometry

Simon (SPDBA) Greener simon at spatialdbadvisor.com
Mon Jan 21 15:20:33 PST 2019

I'm didn't load into geometry, I used ogr2ogr to load into geography. All work to date has been ok except now I want to aggregate union the polygon parts of bounties with multiple polygon parts. ST_Union is not geographic aware hence all the trouble.

Using geometry as the load target does not appear to help me because of the geodetic vs projected linestring issue.

There are other situations eg ST_Wdithin, that return incorrect results when points fall on boundaries (I had to hack a solution to get correct within results for geographic data.)

I don't my just do the processing for Ireland but also Australia and the USA, the common factor being 4326. So the solution has to be geography not geometry.

Well for as much as I understand all these things?

PS I need a common framework when training across PostGIS, SQL Server Spatial and Oracle Spatial. I also want the math to be correct for the geography data, as it should.

Regards
Simon

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​