[postgis-users] Request for ideas to enhance the geometry viewer - GSoC

Simon Greener simon at spatialdbadvisor.com
Tue Jan 29 21:46:26 PST 2019

I'm a DB guy.

Tools like pgAdmin, SQL Developer etc are my reality. qGIS, ArcGIS etc is external to my database reality.

But, IMHO, we need more visualisation that a single colour for features resulting from a SQL Select statement.

I don't want the full functionality of a GIS in terms of flexible styling, editing, geoprocessing, map production, etc.

I've done this before with GeoRaptor for SQL Developer and the users of that extension got visualisation that supported their needs.
(pgAdmin Spatial is a reinvention of the wheel as far as I am concerned: this conversation is very familiar.)

At least I hope at least for better visualisation than a blue line; and ability to get some context by having another query/layer within the view.

regards
Simon

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 16:26:06 +1100, Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:

> It's a touchy area the DB  tool should have strong DB and light on visualization – so Db work is always front and center and GIS to >the side. The GIS should be lighter on DB and stronger on visualization (or at least have visualization up front).
>
> What is light but not too light is a big fuzzy area.  So I think of it in terms of 3 users.
>

> Leo – He likes OpenJump, cause all he wants to do is write SQL statements – hates QGIS.  Why he hates QGIS? – the only thing he >wants is to be able to write a query and see it and layer queries.
> Maybe some styling to distinguish his queries when he overlays. Downside of OpenJump is inability to browse his tables and >make structural changes.
>

> QGIS forces him to open this huge GIS System -> go to DbManager. He finds it cluttered. He is NOT a GIS person so all those >goodies are lost on him. He finds them to be an eyesore and weighing him down from his primary objective.
>

> GIS person or general user – I give them QGIS they love it – they are immersed in the whole visualization thing and just want to >filter their data, they go hog wild installing plugins. I try to show them the DbManager piece (the colorcoding of queries, the light >intellisense, the ability to browse tables etc) (the feature I like most about QGIS), and they yawn and are totally not interested.
>

> Me – I don't often care to visualize anything aside form spot checking my concave hull or convex hull or Geo Median is right, but >it's hard to tell if I can't overlay on the original query without the calcs. So that's the only thing I really yearn for overlay and very >minimalist styling.  So I end up jumping to whatever is closest QGIS or OpenJump. These days I often jump to QGIS cause I have >users that feel "SAFE" (by SAFE I mean they are not lost in – what should I type) in it so I have to have a clue how to show them >how to do things in it, but otherwise I'm probably more of an OpenJump / pgAdmin user.

Regards
Simon
Spatial Advice & Solutions Architecture
Database Spatial Stored Procedure Designer
Oracle Spatial, SQL Server, PostGIS, MySQL, ArcSDE FME
Awarded "2011 Oracle Spatial Excellence Award for Education and Research"