[postgis-users] How to estimate the time taken for a query plan without actually running it?

ruvenml at beamerbrooks.com ruvenml at beamerbrooks.com
Mon Aug 3 09:11:31 PDT 2020

In a word, no.  Unless the query returns a constant value, the run time
will depend on the values of the data and on what machine it's being run
on and the easiest way to determine those things are to actually run the
query.

If what you want is guidance about which queries are going to need
optimization, the cost output from the EXPLAIN command will probably
tell you where to spend your time.  The cost output will also tell you
whether you have succeeded in improving the relative performance of a
query without actually having to run it.

Ruven Brooks