[postgis-users] Role of PostgreSQL and PostGIS in disease outbreak control

Ben Madin ben at ausvet.com.au
Fri Aug 14 09:03:44 PDT 2020

Hi all,

This paper: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prevetmed.2018.10.009 discusses our
solution which powers the national animal health system in Indonesia and
Australia. It is heavily based on PostgreSQL / postgis as disease control
is about many things, but most definitely when and where

If anyone would like a copy, I can send one on, but can't attach to this
listserv.The abstract is below:

Epidemiology provides insights about causes of diseases and how to control
them, and is powered by surveil- lance information. Animal health
surveillance systems typically have been designed to meet high-level gov-
ernment informational needs, and any incentives for those who generate data
(such as animal owners and animal health workers) to report surveillance
information are sometimes outweighed by the negative consequences of
reporting; underreporting is a serious constraint. This problem can persist
even when modern advances in in- formation and communications technology
(ICT) are incorporated into the structure and operation of surveil- lance
systems, although some problems typical of paper-based systems (including
timeliness of reporting and response, accuracy of data entry, and level of
detail recorded) are reduced. On occasions, however, additional problems
including sustainability arise. We describe two examples of a philosophical
approach and ICT platform for the development of powerful and sustainable
health information systems that are people-centred and do not exhibit these
typical problems. iSIKHNAS is Indonesia's integrated animal health
information system, and PIISAC is a sustainable secure research platform
based on full production data from participating commercial Chilean
aquaculture companies. Epidemiologists working with these systems are faced
with interesting new challenges, including the need to develop skills in
extracting appropriate surveillance outcomes from large volumes of
continually-streaming data.

cheers

Ben

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 at 19:57, Shaozhong SHI <shishaozhong at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All Friends,
>
> We are looking for reference materials such as case studies in application
> of PostgreSQL/PostGIS in disease outbreak control.
>
> This is an excellent opportunity for demonstrating the usefulness of the
> technology and techniques for this.
>
> Should anyone come across excellent literature on this topic, please let
> me know.
>
> I will find opportunities for promoting the excellence of
> PostgeSQL/PostGIS community.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from anyone who knows.
>
> Regards,
>
> Shao

[image: Ausvet Logo] <https://www.ausvet.com.au/>

Dr Ben Madin