[postgis-users] postgis-3.1.0beta2 released

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Fri Dec 11 11:36:45 PST 2020

Hi Paul,

Could you potentially eleborate a bit about #4805, '_ST_SortableHash'
exposed?

I looked up the bug tracker issue, and have followed the links, but the
information provided there is more of a stub, and at least one reference
suggests mainly a link with BRIN type spatial indexes. On the other
hand, it suggests a generic performance issue with Postgres and sorting
very large spatial tables on the geometry column ('ORDER BY geom').

I must admit I actually ran into to something that sounds like the
latter, where attempting to 'ORDER BY geom' on a non-indexed spatial
column of a >370M table, resulted in a relatively short (few hours)
parallel execution of the query with multiple 'parallel workers' visible
in pgAdmin, which was subsequently followed by > 30 hours of the 'client
backend' doing single threaded work, with virtually no CPU, RAM or disk
write activity. Since the database runs on SSD, this was unexpected.
Even a full sequential scan of the entire table should only have cost a
fraction of that time. I finally killed the process, not wanting to wait
any longer.

Marco Boeringa