[postgis-users] PostGIS generic dumper/loader

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Feb 25 17:53:29 PST 2020

Lots of alternatives.

1) You can use pg_dump / pg_restore if you are dumping PostGIS data and restoring to another PostGIS enabled database
2) You can use ogr2ogr which will allow you to transfer data from any data source to another data source (also supports non-spatial though it's primarily used for spatial)
3) My favorite - ogr_fdw -- Spatial foreign data wrapper - think of this as ogr2ogr in your PostgreSQL database -- it uses the same plumbing as ogr2ogr under the hood but allows you to query ogr'd data sources as if they are PostgreSQL tables.

4) If you are looking for a WYSIWYG thing -- QGIS Db Manager is pretty decent and can walk you thru loading / dumping - I think it too uses ogr under the hood.

There are tons more I can spout out but those I think are the most accessible and all open source and free.