[postgis-users] Documentation for PostGIS raster format / binary encoding?

Felix Schütt felix.schuett at maps4print.com
Tue Jan 21 13:06:12 PST 2020

Hi,

I'm currently working to understand the raster format of PostGIS,
especially the binary encoding. Let's say that I have a bunch of binary
data in a file format that raster2pgsql doesn't understand. I have a
program that reads out the raster data of that file and now I want to
insert it into postgis. I have the width and height of the image, the
coordinates of the image corners, the EPSG code and the binary image
data. My question is, how do I construct an SQL query (INSERT or COPY
statement) to insert the data into a table. Using a different file
format, raster2pgsql is able to construct a query like this:

BEGIN;
CREATE TABLE "n00e010.srtmgl3.hgt" ("rid" serial PRIMARY KEY,"rast"
raster);
INSERT INTO "n00e010.srtmgl3.hgt" ("rast") VALUES ('00100 [... LOTS OF
NUMBERS ...]'::raster);
END;

However, I don't know how to construct the binary stream in the "LOTS OF
NUMBERS" part. The public documentation
(https://postgis.net/docs/manual-2.1/RT_reference.html) is extremely
sparse on documenting how the binary data is formatted, which is
probably the most important part. What is "scaleX", "scaleY", "ipX",
"ipY" and where do I get them from (and why are they set to 0.5 in the
example)? (Also, if I run the example and try to add the layer in QGIS
2.18, I somehow can't add the raster layer?) Why is the raster data
inserted as a second row, but in the output of raster2pgsql it's just a
single row? Is the header of the binary data always the same or do the
fields change based on the data type? The official docs basically just
say "just use raster2pgsql lol", there is no documentation of how the
binary stream is encoded beyond this single example.

If I had an 3x3 *signed 16-bit integer* array of bytes (just greyscale),
how would I go about formatting the binary stream so that PostGIS
accepts them and I can display them in QGIS (using PostGIS 3.0.1 and
PostgreSQL 12)? Is there a spec? Where should the image data go and how
is it encoded (especially regarding 16-bit integers instead of 8-bit
ones like in the example)?

Thanks in advance for any help and thanks for creating PostGIS,

Felix