[postgis-users] Querying PostgreSQL / PostGIS Databases in Python

ruvenml at beamerbrooks.com ruvenml at beamerbrooks.com
Fri Jul 31 08:29:59 PDT 2020

Shao,
   There are literally thousands of languages which can be used to
formulate queries and send them to the PostgreSQL server for
processing.  You mentioned Python.  How about Java, Javascript,
Typescript, C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Swift,  Go, Matlab or R to name a
randomly chosen few?  Interfaces like ODBC/JDBC make it really easy to
add PostgreSQL support to a programming language or calculation package.

All of these languages are handy for writing things which are difficult
to express in SQL and all of them offer capabilities which may make it
easier to get data into and out of the application but all of them take
about the same amount of time to process a query because queries are
processed by the PostgreSQL server, not by the programming language. The
only time PL/<whatever> or one of these other languages helps with
performance is when the algorithm used has higher performance than what
is available in SQL.  Often, the opposite turns out to be the case.   In
other words, writing things in PL/<whatever> may actually slow things down.

What should you do?  Step 1 is to make sure that you are writing
efficient queries.   You need to have a deep understanding of the
results of the EXPLAIN command and know how to re-arrange queries to
control the PostgreSQL processing.

Suppose that no matter how you re-write the query, it's still slow.
Step 2 is to treat yourself to an online course on analysis of
algorithms.   Not only will you learn ways of speeding up algorithms but
you will also learn to recognize when it's impossible to speed up an
algorithm.

Ruven Brooks