[postgis-users] ST_AREA(geom) returns incorrect area

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Jun 12 16:30:09 PDT 2020

When I run st_area(geom) against a geom in WGS84, my understanding is that
postgis returns the area in square meters. It's not. Instead it returns
something much smaller. The areas I'm interested in are small bounding
boxes so spherical measurements should be all that different.

I verified that the table SRID is 4326. The boxes all display correctly in
both Pgadmin4 and QGIS.

For example, a bbox around a house returns 9.84003999925341e-09. Yet QGIS
calculates it as 113.73 sqm. The QGIS calculation seems to be more
accurate.

I know I'm doing something very wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Best,
Clifford

--
@osm_washington