[postgis-users] Broken installs for PostGIS for Ubuntu 20.04LTS / Focal?

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Wed May 13 02:06:28 PDT 2020

Hi all,

Is there someone who can confirm they have been able to install PostGIS
3.0.1 via the official APT repository?:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt

After using the Synaptics Package Manager to install the three packages
involved
("postgresql-12-postgis-3"/"postgresql-12-postgis-3-dbgsym"/"postgresql-12-postgis-3-scripts"),
and subsequently trying to create the PostGIS extension in pgAdmin4, I
get the following error:

ERROR: could not load library "/usr/lib/postgresql/12/lib/postgis-3.so":
/usr/lib/postgresql/12/lib/postgis-3.so: undefined symbol: GEOSMakeValid

I have been trying different things to fix this for past two days
including re-install, but to no avail. I have also attempted to include
the UbuntuGIS repository as a potential alternative resource of PostGIS
packages, but discovered the UbuntuGIS repository is lagging behind and
doesn't yet have packages for 20.04LTS.

Marco