[postgis-users] Problem postgis 2.5 Centos 8 - postgis doesn't work

Alain Benard alain.benard at inrae.fr
Tue Nov 24 23:36:03 PST 2020

Hi ,
In an other post I explained a problem with raster2pgsql on Centos 8 but in fact the problem is more important and update server postgis make 'create extension postgis failed'.
So i reinstalled postgres / postgis from scratch on a virtual machine with centos and with this command (https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-install-postgis-on-centos-8-linux/) :

   The principals commands are :

dnf -y install https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/reporpms/EL-8-x86_64/pgdg-redhat-repo-latest.noarch.rpm

dnf -qy module disable postgresql

dnf -y install postgresql12-server postgresql12-devel postgresql12-contrib

dnf -y install https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-8.noarch.rpm

dnf config-manager --set-enabled PowerTools

dnf -y install postgis25_12 postgis25_12-docs postgis25_12-utils postgis25_12-client

Two version of proj are installed with the script (even if i erase proj before with ' dnf remove proj-*') :

                dnf list installed |grep proj

                                proj.x86_64                                   6.3.2-4.el8                                       @epel

                                proj72.x86_64                                 7.2.0-1.rhel8                                 @pgdg-common

On step 4 The result : I can't use 'CREATE EXTENSION POSTGIS' :

                ERREUR:  n'a pas pu charger la bibliothèque « /usr/pgsql-12/lib/rtpostgis-2.5.so » : /usr/gdal32/lib/libgdal.so.28: undefined symbol: GTIFGetGCSInfoEx

I don't know if this list is the best for this problem but today this problem is not just mine ; i think nobody can install postgis 2.5 with postgres 12 on centos 8 with this repository.

Thank you for explaining.

Alain.