[postgis-users] Promoting PostgreSQL and PostGIS to wider business intelligence community

ruvenml at beamerbrooks.com ruvenml at beamerbrooks.com
Thu Sep 24 15:09:48 PDT 2020

I doubt whether PostGIS has any direct value whatsoever for desktop
application users.  At a very minimum,  using PostGIS directly requires
a  knowledge of SQL.  In fact, the more knowledge of SQL a user has, the
more powerful PostGIS will be.   SQL is usually taught in a database
course which, in many computer science curriculums, is taught in the
second or third year, not to end users in another occupation.

Business intelligence systems such as Power BI and Tableau can connect
directly to PostGIS data bases and provide end user commands and
operations for querying and modifying those databases.  GIS systems such
as ArcGIS and QGIS provide similar capabilities.   End users can get
nearly all of the power of PostGIS without having to learn anything
outside of the business intelligence system or the GIS system.

PostGIS is probably best reserved for people who have a programming
background and whose jobs or avocations involve doing things that are
difficult or impossible to do in existing business intelligence or GIS
applications.  There seem to be more than enough people like that to
keep the PostGIS developers quite busy.

Ruven Brooks