[postgis-users] Setting multiple columns in one UPDATE request - Additional results for large polgyons.

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Wed Sep 30 00:03:48 PDT 2020

Hi Regina,

I now did a second test with two datasets of forest polygons,  to get an
indication if the subquery has any measurable positive effect on such a
dataset, contrary to the previously shown result for a dataset primarily
consisting of low vertex count (<200) polygons (results included in the
older posts attached below).

The first dataset has records with geometries of up to about 100k
vertices, the second dataset is a generalized one with all polygons
subdivided to a maximum of 5000 vertices.

The results are included below. As you can see, using a subquery still
does not lead to a real measurable performance gain, neither for the
dataset with humongous big polygons, nor the one with subdivided
polygons containing a large set of 5000 max vertices polygons. Only the
single threaded result on the first dataset with max 100k vertices per
polygon, appears to have a tiny measurable gain, but considering the
slight variability of timing results at each run even with the same
settings, I am pretty sure even this is not significant.

What is significant compared to the previous results of a dataset with
small polygons (majority < 200 vertices per polygon), is that the
multi-threaded processing is considerably faster than the single
threaded processing. So processing is clearly CPU limited for these
larger polygons, but whether that is really in the PostGIS calculations,
or overhead of PostgreSQL needing to de-toast large polygons, I don't know.

It does appear though, that PostgreSQL somehow already manages to
"optimize" the calculations reusing calculated values, unless the cost
of ST_Area and ST_Perimeter calculations on really large polygons is
still only a fraction of the reading and writing of the geometries, in
which case the results of the query processing simply do not show the
inherent cost difference of the different queries.

Note though, that although I showed:

UPDATE <MY_TABLE> SET area = ST_Area(<GEOMETRY_COLUMN>), area_perimeter
= ST_Area(<GEOMETRY_COLUMN>) / ST_Perimeter(<GEOMETRY_COLUMN>)

as an example query to illustrate the problem, the timing results are
actually for an UPDATE statement setting 4 columns that all need
'ST_Area()' as part of the calculation. So in reality, the potential
benefits of the rewriting of the query, should have been even bigger
than for the example query above, as the polygon's area is needed four
times.

Marco

*** Dataset with very large polygon geometries (Max 100k vertices) *********

- Single-threaded using ORIGINAL QUERY: 32m05s

- Single-threaded using SUBQUERY (FROM): 31m52s

- Multi-threaded using ORIGINAL QUERY: 18m16s

- Multi-threaded using SUBQUERY (FROM): 18m46s

*** Dataset SUBDIVIDED to polygons with max 5000 vertices! *********

- Single-threaded using ORIGINAL QUERY: 11m01s

- Single-threaded using SUBQUERY (FROM): 11m11s

- Multi-threaded using ORIGINAL QUERY: 5m37s

- Multi-threaded using SUBQUERY (FROM): 5m46s