[postgis-users] Trace network from each source node and check that the trace reaches the sea

Stephen V. Mather svm at clevelandmetroparks.com
Thu Dec 30 15:28:50 PST 2021

Hi David,

This is a good example. I have modified this to walk networks before,
and it's a minimal and understandable example:

http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2010/07/network-walking-in-postgis.html

There may be some better ways to do this, as the postgres tooling has
changed quite a bit. The use of a function may be precluded by some
modern fancy join type. Others can speak better to that than I can these
days.

Also, if you don't mind installing one more thing, pgrouting will do
network traversal much more efficiently than a /WITH RECURSIVE/ network
traversal:

https://pgrouting.org/

Cheers,

Best,