[postgis-users] Does ArcGIS 2.7 Pro work with PostgreSQL 13 / PostGIS 3.1

Brian Wilson brian at wildsong.biz
Mon May 24 21:32:28 PDT 2021

When I've asked in the past, Esri people told me that PostGIS editing will
not work. I always try things myself, regardless of what Esri people say.
My answer is still NO, you cannot edit. I think the chances of them
enabling editing are pretty much non-existent. They want everyone to
subscribe to an annual license for ArcGIS Enterprise and supporting PostGIS
would dilute that effort so this is no surprise to me.

I just installed ArcGIS Pro 2.8 this afternoon and tested it with a fresh
install of PostGIS 3 / Postgresql 12 (running on Ubuntu Server installed
from UbuntuGIS).

I am using a "personal" license so it's the "Advanced" version of Pro and I
have the interop extension too.

To get some data into PostGIS I loaded a polygon shapefile into QGIS and
then used drag and dropto copy it into PostGIS, AMAZING and stunning to me
how easy that was. Then I closed it and I started Pro 2.8, and I was able
to connect to the database and load in the PostGIS table as a feature
class. It worked just fine. Then I tried to edit it and it said "This
layer's workspace is readonly." I searched the properties for the layer and
I searched Esri online help for that string and found nothing. I am
connected with the same credentials in both QGIS and Pro so the problem is
in Pro.

Then I launched QGIS and edited a polygon there. I stumbled because I have
not used it for editing but I managed to move a vertex. Then I refreshed
the layer in Pro and the change immediately appeared.

I don't have any way to test the Basic license of Pro. I disabled Interop
to make sure it was not doing something behind the scenes to allow me to
view PostGIS data, and that had no effect. With it turned off I restarted
Pro and the PostGIS layer loaded. AFAIK interop is just a very complicated
ETL filter tool and does not do anything directly in the Pro GUI.

Hope this helps -- Brian