[postgis-users] PostgreSQL 13, PostGIS 3.1 import - could not form projection

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 19:51:13 PDT 2021

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 1:34 PM karsten <karsten at terragis.net> wrote:

> Is anyone out there that happens to know
> how can I make PostgreSQL use the new proj lib version I have installed?

I imagine that you would need to build postgis from source to get it to use
the newer proj version (and install the corresponding libproj-dev,
libgeos-dev, etc.). But before you go to that trouble you should explore
other options. Why not just comment out the offending line and put the
index in later? I did a quick test creating a table with
geometry(MultiPolygon,2263) and then
   CREATE INDEX test_geohash ON test USING btree
(st_geohash(st_transform(wkb_geometry, 4326)));
and go no errors. I'm on Ubuntu 20.02, postgres 13, postgis 3.1 installed
from the postgresql.org repo (not the native Ubuntu repo).

Try firing up a clean AWS instance and starting clean. I can't imagine that
you really need proj > 6.

Rich

Richard W. Greenwood
www.greenwoodmap.com