[postgis-users] Configuration and performance of PostGIS

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Thu Apr 21 23:17:57 PDT 2022

You are comparing apples and pears.

 From a quick scan at the links you posted, the LineCombiner does a
fundamentally different thing than the "network-walking" example, it
simply "combines" any line connected to any other line at its end
vertex, which is not the same as "network-walking". This is more like a
PostGIS "ST_Collect()" operation, that also doesn't care about network
connectivity.

By the way, I never see PostgreSQL take full CPU (2x14 core
workstation), even with PostgreSQL configured to allow as many CPU cores
for parallel operations as there are physically. I wish it did, it would
speed up some operations that really need it. The only way I can get
full CPU usage is through a custom build Python multi-threading
framework putting PostgreSQL and PostGIS to work.

Maybe your server is underpowered for the type of work you wish to do.

Marco