[postgis-users] upgrade process and conflicting version info

Hugh Kelley hghklly at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 08:59:22 PDT 2022

Hi all,

wondering about the upgrade process I'm using, whether there's a better
way, and a possible minor bug.

I have a server running postgres 12 databases that currently use psotgis
3.0.0 and i'm looking to update postgis.

I have used the following commands to do so:

>>sudo apt update
>>sudo apt -y upgrade
>>sudo reboot
>>sudo apt -y install gnupg2
>>wget --quiet -O - https://www.postgresql.org/media/keys/ACCC4CF8.asc |
sudo apt-key add -
>>echo "deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ `lsb_release -cs`-pgdg
main" |sudo tee  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list
>>sudo apt update
>>sudo apt install postgis postgresql-12-postgis-3

once I've run these, I still need to run the following query in each
database to complete the upgrade

ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE;

Before I run this query, the results of

SELECT PostGIS_Version(); are 3.2.2, the upgraded version,

The results of SELECT PostGIS_Full_Version(); is an error
ERROR: A stored procedure tried to use deprecated C function
'postgis_svn_version'

The results of SELECT * FROM pg_extension; are postgis 3.0.0.

Testing functions like st_hexagongrid(), which is available in 3.2 and not
in 3.0 returns an error, indicating the database is still using 3.0.

once I run the postgis UPDATE query, all of this is resolved and the
results are 3.2 for all checks.

My questions are,

is there a way to automatically upgrade all databases on the server? I
suppose I could put together a shell script but wondering if there is a
standard way for doing this.

and, is it possible that the difference in version results between
postgis_version() and pg_extention prior to updating should be considered a
bug? Looking at packages installed on the server, it looks like my update
commands replaced 3.0 with 3.2 instead of installing it side by side.

Is working on a database that hasn't been updated to 3.2 on a server that
has been updated likely to cause any problems if I expect it to work
according to the 3.0 codebase as it has historically?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!

Hugh