[postgis-users] Cut extent box2d into small regular boxes, and iterate through each box of features

Lars Aksel Opsahl Lars.Opsahl at nibio.no
Tue Mar 29 00:52:40 PDT 2022

>From: postgis-users <postgis-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> on behalf of Shaozhong SHI <shishaozhong at gmail.com>Sent: Monday, March 28, 2022 3:21 PMTo: PostGIS Users Discussion <postgis-users at lists.osgeo.org>Subject: Re: [postgis-users] Cut extent box2d into small regular boxes, and iterate through each box of features
>
>Hi, Lars,
>
>Your points are very interesting.
>
>How about the following alternative.
>
>Use geohash to divide features into geographical groups.
>
>Treat each group in turn.
>
>How about that?

Hi

I have not used geohash my self, but that only seems work in degrees. I have not seen any big problems with spatial grids as we make them and it's fast since it can use indexes so I am not sure how geohash can help us to do this in a better way.

About grids, we do not only use grid for distribution, but also in some case spatial operations. For instance when we compute gaps/overlaps.

For parrel work that you asked about in ealier mail, we use https://github.com/larsop/postgres_execute_parallel , this is solution based on dblink which again my cause security issues so as it is now this is temporary solution .

Lars