[postgis-users] Where a full list of DE-9IM pattern can be found for ST_Relate?

Phil Bartie philbartie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 15:23:21 PDT 2022

Hi David,

There are a large number (6561) of theoretical possible relationships
between 2 features which can be expressed by DE-9IM. Not sure what you mean
by 'type of errors', but from what I understand the DE-9IM is a
mathematically complete set of all options for how 2 features can interact.

As well as the wiki page Martin mentioned there's also some examples here:
https://docs.tatukgis.com/DK11/doc:de9im
These slides are quite useful too for some more background -
https://event.cwi.nl/eswc2015-geo/02-background.pdf -  check slides 14 to
20.

A key paper from Clementini et al on the theory behind all this is:
http://delab.csd.auth.gr/~alex/sdb/artSSD93.pdf

best
Phil