[postgis-users] Queries slow after PostGIS upgrade

Christopher Swingley cswingle at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:02:34 PDT 2022

All,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 8:50 AM Chris Mair <chris at 1006.org> wrote:

> > However, we are finding that PostGIS database queries are taking
> significantly longer on RDS than on Windows (although querying non-PostGIS
> attribute data is actually faster).
>
> a value in a PostGIS data type is usually larger than standard data. Is it
> possible that the bandwidth between you and RDS is just smaller than the
> bandwidth versus your (presumably local) Windows box and the extra time is
> lost transferring data?

How do the two systems compare (operating system, processors, cpu speed,
memory)? Has the Postgres configuration been optimized for the hardware?
Can you do EXPLAIN ANALYZE on both systems for a query that's slower on the
AWS side to see what's consuming more time?

Cheers,

Chris
--
Christopher Swingley